Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Extra Tidbits of Information :)

 I don't normally do blog posts in the middle of the week, but we have had some changes that I feel are important enough to warrant one. :)


Class Rule Change:

As a class, we have been talking a lot about being a "baby bird learner" versus a "golden eagle learner". A "baby bird learner" is like a baby bird sitting in a nest waiting for someone else to "feed" them the information. This is very different from a "golden eagle learner" who actively participates in the learning and finds answers to things they don't know. 

Yesterday we pushed all the desks out and sat in a circle and talked about getting rid of our old class rules and coming up with a set of "guidelines" that will help us create a class that will encourage each of us to reach our full potential. I wrote four words across the board to help guide us. Those were DO, FEEL, SOUND, and LOOK. Then we brainstormed words that addressed those. Students then had the opportunity to vote for the five they liked best in each category. The words that had the most votes became our new guides. I will include pictures of what we came up with below. I am so proud of these kids, they really put a lot of thought into this!




I am going to be creating posters like this that will go on our wall. I will include a picture of what that looks like once it is done!


Math Extra Credit:
We have moved on to Topic 8 so I am sending home the volume 1 math workbook. Students can complete one page (front and back) showing their work of course and receive 5 extra credit points. I talked to my students about this today. For those points they have to complete the actual assignment pages and not the first-look pages that don't have much on them. This is optional, but a great opportunity for students to review their learning or work on things they struggle with. 


Vision Screening:
Your student is bringing home a permission slip today for a vision screening that will be offered by the Lions Club. It says "Vision and Hearing Screening", however, we are only doing the vision screening. If you would like your student to participate, please sign it and have them bring it back to me. If I don't have a signed permission slip from you, they will not get the screening. These will be happening on February 8th. 


No comments:

Post a Comment