Monday, December 4, 2023

Week of December 4th

 I am so excited for December! This is one of my favorite times of year to be a teacher. We have a lot of fun things planned for this month!

ELA:

One of the fun things we do in December is a whole unit on "Holidays Around the World". Each year I pick countries that I feel are meaningful to the group of students that I have. This year we will be studying 11 different countries, the holidays they celebrate this time of year, their traditions, and foods. We will pause Because of Winn-Dixie during this time. It isn't ideal, but it's just how it worked out this year. 

We will have our normal Morning Warm Up quiz and Spelling Test this week and next week. Next week will be the last week for that so students have the opportunity to retake anything that is needed the last week of the quarter. 

November Reading Calendars were due today. Remember an email from the parent telling me how many minutes your student read, works just as well! December Reading Calendars are in their Home Folders now. 


Math:

This week in math will be pretty typical. We are going to be finishing up our unit on long division at the end of this week or the beginning of next week. I would like to take that Topic 5 test next week so that we can start fresh in the new year with a new topic. 


Christmas Party:

Our Christmas party this year will be all about the countries that we are learning about. I am working with our Room Moms to coordinate that so be on the lookout for an email with a link to sign up to either make a cultural dish, send in supplies, or help out at the party! I already have my dad on board to help me make meatballs and sauce using the recipe that his grandparents brought when they immigrated here from Italy, it's going to be tasty!


End of Q2/S1:

We are quickly approaching the end of the Quarter. Students will have until the end of the day on Thursday, December 21st to get in any missing assignments or late work. I will be sending home Missing Assignment Reports at the end of each week so that students can work on those at home. Missing assignments will also keep them from going to Enrichment on Mondays. We only have 2 left for this session, so students will want to make sure they can go!



No comments:

Post a Comment